Find the best solar panel installers in Tyne and Wear
Below we list some solar panel installers all of whom meet the following quality control criteria:
- They have good Checkatrade ratings or equivalent
- Are accredited by MCS for solar PV installations
- Hold RECC or HIES membership
Get the right solar panels for your home, and start generating your own electricity.
These installers can cover all the main Tyne and Wear towns, cities, and surrounding areas, including:
- Newcastle upon Tyne
- South Shields
- Whitley Bay
Do your Homework
Double-check solar PV MCS, RECC or HIES membership
You can do this by
- Copying the installer company name below,
- Clicking on the relevant membership link, and then
- Pasting the company name in the membership search box.
Smart Export Guarantee
Although the Feed-in Tariff scheme (FiT) ended in 2019, the government introduced a replacement on 1 January 2020. The new scheme is called the Smart Export Guarantee. You are paid for any electricity you don't use in the home and which gets exported to the grid. The rate at which you are paid will be decided by your electricity provider. Currently, the market rate varies from about 1.5p to 5.5p per kWh. You will also need a smart meter which the energy provider will install free of charge.
VAT on Solar Panels
1 April 2022 saw a change in the VAT rules governing solar PV installations in the UK. In a nutshell:
- VAT is applied at 0% – i.e. no VAT! – on all domestic solar PV installations up to 31 March 2027.
- If you get battery storage put in at the same time, by the same installer, VAT is also 0% on the batteries (otherwise it's 20% VAT on battery storage).
For a comprehensive overview of solar panels and how they can complement an electric car, please see our main Solar Panels page.
Solar Panel Installers List